In 2010, I plan to read the entire bible using the M'Cheyne One-Year Reading Plan . It's my hope that by reading God's word on a daily basis, I will know God better. As time allows, I hope to journal my notes, questions and observations for anyone who cares to follow.

Friday, June 18, 2010

June 18 - Cowards

After my read this morning, I went for a jog. On that jog, something I read stuck with me. It's Revelation 21:8.

8 “But cowards, unbelievers, the corrupt, murderers, the immoral, those who practice witchcraft, idol worshipers, and all liars—their fate is in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”

So there's a list for you. You've got your murderers, witchcraft practicers, idol worshipers, the Hitlers of the world. What doesn't fit in our mind? A softer, more respectable type: the coward.

Throughout my readings this year, one thing is very clear. We are to fear the Lord. However, all else, we are not to fear. We are not to fear other people; not to fear poverty, suffering, death, nothing.

Peter showed a fear of man and of death when He denied knowing Christ. The rich man showed a fear of poverty, a fear of lack of power, etc. when he walked away from Christ when asked to sell everything he had.

What am I afraid of? What are you afraid of?