In 2010, I plan to read the entire bible using the M'Cheyne One-Year Reading Plan . It's my hope that by reading God's word on a daily basis, I will know God better. As time allows, I hope to journal my notes, questions and observations for anyone who cares to follow.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

June 23 - Asking God to Incline Our Hearts

In Psalm 119: 1-48, notice all David is asking God to do. They are things we don't typically ask, thinking instead we should do them ourselves. We should muster up a heart for God - we should incline our hearts toward God. In verse 36, David instead asks God to "incline my heart to your testimonies". He's asking God to do it. Lesson: If I'm not asking God to incline my heart toward Him and His Word, it's probably not happening. God is powerful enough to stir a heart; we're not.

Psalm 119 can be read by clicking here, but below, I want to isolate just the requests from David to God in the Psalm.

Let me not wander from your commandments!
Teach me your statutes!
Deal bountifully with your servant, that I may live and keep your word.
Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law.
Hide not your commandments from me!
Give me life according to your word!
Make me understand the way of your precepts, and I will meditate on your wondrous works.
Strengthen me according to your word!
Put false ways far from me and graciously teach me your law!
I will run in the way of your commandments when you enlarge my heart!
Teach me, O Lord, the way of your statutes; and I will keep it to the end.
Give me understanding, that I may keep your law and observe it with my whole heart.
Lead me in the path of your commandments, for I delight in it.
Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!
Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things; and give me life in your ways.
Confirm to your servant your promise, that you may be feared.
Turn away the reproach that I dread, for your rules are good.
Behold, I long for your precepts; in your righteousness give me life!
Let your steadfast love come to me, O Lord, your salvation according to your promise.
Take not the word of truth utterly out of my mouth, for my hope is in your rules.