In 2010, I plan to read the entire bible using the M'Cheyne One-Year Reading Plan . It's my hope that by reading God's word on a daily basis, I will know God better. As time allows, I hope to journal my notes, questions and observations for anyone who cares to follow.

Monday, April 19, 2010

April 19 - God Grants

I knew going into my reading plan this year that God is in control of everything. But in reading daily, this truth has been reinforced. He's in control over everything, from creation to the hardening of Pharoah's heart, to Christ's death, His ressurection and more.

Over the last two mornings, I've noticed a few other things God controls - things I don't normally think of Him controlling.

Contentment. It's my job to be content. I have to muster up contentment, right?

Ecclesiastes 5:18-20: Behold, what I have seen to be good and fitting is to eat and drink and find enjoyment in all the toil with which one toils under the sun the few days of his life that God has given him, for this is his lot. 19 Everyone also to whom God has given wealth and possessions and power to enjoy them, and to accept his lot and rejoice in his toil—this is the gift of God. 20 For he will not much remember the days of his life because God keeps him occupied with joy in his heart.


The ability to accept your lot and rejoice in your toil is a gift from God. How does God provide the gift? By keeping man "occupied with joy in his heart".

Repentance. It's my job to repent. I muster that up and come to God with a repentant heart, right?

2 Timothy 2:22 So flee youthful passions and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart. 23 Have nothing to do with foolish, ignorant controversies; you know that they breed quarrels. 24 And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil, 25 correcting his opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth, 26 and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, after being captured by him to do his will.


God grants repentance. God grants contentment.

Last week my knowledge that God is in control of things went from being theoretical to applicable. In other words, I realized it's something I always need to be aware of. It matters that I'm aware of it. When I'm aware of God's moving and orchestrating, I'm less likely to be flippant about things happening around me. I'm less likely to chalk happenings up as coincedence. Why did this happen? What is God trying to show me? Why did I meet this person? What is God orchestrating that He's inviting me to be a part of?