In 2010, I plan to read the entire bible using the M'Cheyne One-Year Reading Plan . It's my hope that by reading God's word on a daily basis, I will know God better. As time allows, I hope to journal my notes, questions and observations for anyone who cares to follow.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

April 27 - Father to the Fatherless

Attached is a link to a message from David Platt on orphan care. I'll admit having sort of a cynical view of the adoption wave sweeping through church and hollywood these days. He touches on some of that, that it's trendy in our day to care for orphans or to adopt. There are those that think, though they wouldn't say it aloud, that it would be adorable to have a nice, cute kid from another country in their Christmas card. But he reminds: What happens when the child you adopt is suffering from fetal alcohol syndrome and can't sit still for the photo shoot without throwing a tantrum? But he said everything changed for him when he walked into a third world orphanage - everything changes when you hear their cries and see their faces.

He says "It's not possible to be a Christian, a child of God, and not care for orphans (147 million around the world)". What's my excuse? Everyone has one. For some, it's money. I think mine would be that we already have a full plate with 4 kids. I don't know if adoption is right for me and Christine now or ever, but I now realize that's not a pass from caring for orphans. What are the other ways? If I can't personally care for an orphan, maybe I can give money to someone that wants to adopt, but can't because of the cost? Maybe.

I would recommend fast forwarding to the 26:38 minute mark in this message (Chapter 15 - Father to the Fatherless). Just listen to the last 18 minutes - it's all you really need to hear.

http://itunes.apple.com/podcast/brook-hills-audio/id319699838