In 2010, I plan to read the entire bible using the M'Cheyne One-Year Reading Plan . It's my hope that by reading God's word on a daily basis, I will know God better. As time allows, I hope to journal my notes, questions and observations for anyone who cares to follow.

Sunday, April 25, 2010

April 25 - But When

Titus 3:1 Remind them to be submissive to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good work, 2 to speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show perfect courtesy toward all people. 3 For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, hated by others and hating one another. 4 But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, 5 he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, 6 whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7 so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life. 8 The saying is trustworthy, and I want you to insist on these things, so that those who have believed in God may be careful to devote themselves to good works. These things are excellent and profitable for people.


Foolishness, selfishness, pride, arrogance, anger, impatience, greed, cynicisum, insecurity, jealousy, fear. But when. But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, he saved me, not because I pulled myself away from that laundry list of ugliness, and cleaned up my contaminated heart. No, he saved me according to his own mercy. Why? The answer to the why is so often overlooked and underappreciated. He did this so I can become an heir according to the hope of eternal life. Now that He has saved me by his own mercy, and filled me with a hope of eternal life, I must be careful to put away and guard against those things and devote myself to good works - works that are excellent and profitable for me.

I can only take one verse with me onto a deserted island? Give me Psalm 16:11. I've asked the kids to join me in memorizing it - there's no better verse at nutshelling it all for me.

You make known to me the path of life;
in your presence there is fullness of joy;
at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.


God is alive and very involved in our lives. His word and involvment make known the path of life. He had mercy on me, saving me, not just to save, but save for an end - to enjoy his presence where there is fullness of joy, and to enjoy the pleasures forevermore that are in his right hand. This verse brings contentment now and great hope for later.