The Christian view that Jesus is "the only way" is narrow-minded. Because it is so narrow-minded, many Christians are backing off it.
This is a stat from a reputable source: 52% of Evangelicals & 79% of Mainline Protestants, ages 18-29 believe there is more than one way to heaven.
The rub, as I see it, is that even a casual reading of the gospels by the most average of Joe's would reveal otherwise. The difficulty "Jesus is the only way" Christian's have is that they feel compelled to lean on the gospels. If you lean on the gospels (Jesus words about who he was), you really have no choice but to believe this way. Jesus spoke this way - so there's the pickle.
John 3:17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. 18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.
The above is not an obscure verse in an obscure book. I've read Matthew, Mark, Luke and half of John to this point in my plan, and I find that it's clear, very clear, that Jesus thought of himself as a narrow doorway.
So those that have a problem with Jesus as the only way to God, as I see it, shouldn't really focus their attention on the narrow mindedness of the Christian. Rather, they should focus on disproving the validity of the Gospel's and disproving that Jesus was truly the messiah.
"I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: I’m ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don’t accept his claim to be God. That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic — on the level with the man who says he is a poached egg — or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse. You can shut him up for a fool, you can spit at him and kill him as a demon or you can fall at his feet and call him Lord and God, but let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about his being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to." — C.S. Lewis