Today is day 85 of my plan. This year, I've found the bible to be richer than ever. It's mind-boggling to stop and remind myself that I'm in possession of this book, given my belief that it is a compilation of ancient manuscripts, inspired by the God of the Universe, explaining who He is and who we are in relation to him. It's how God has chosen to relate to us - through preserved, God-inspired writings.
Yet, I'm guessing most Christians, while they wouldn't admit it, wouldn't miss a beat if their bible was taken from them forever. Not that I'm so special - I've gone through many seasons where the same was true for me.
I wonder why people let the bible collect dust?
Maybe it's not believed to be the inerrant, inspired word of God?
Maybe it's believed to be the word of God, but not transforming or value-adding on a daily basis, practically speaking (Ephesians 6:17).
Maybe it's too confusing?
Maybe it's too boring?
Maybe it's laziness?
Maybe life is comfortable as is, and there's fear that it might leave you feeling guilty.
Maybe there's simply no time for reading it? Family, job, TV, & Facebook eat up every waking hour.
I'm told there are people out there in foreign, third world countries, that are Christians, but have never seen a bible. Upon possession, they get on it like me on a bucket of chicken.