In 2010, I plan to read the entire bible using the M'Cheyne One-Year Reading Plan . It's my hope that by reading God's word on a daily basis, I will know God better. As time allows, I hope to journal my notes, questions and observations for anyone who cares to follow.

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Mar 25 - Words on Advice, Advice on Words

In the middle of Solomon's Proverbs, chapter 12 has a few nuggets that stuck out to me this morning.

15 The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice.


Countless times, I've been convinced I was right about something, whether significant or trivial, only to have it revealed later that I was dead wrong. There's great value in trusted friends that can offer good advice. It's wise to seek out this advice. Pride can get in the way of asking though. And our own foolishness can lead us to ask advice from someone we know will tell us what we want to hear.

18 There is one whose rash words are like sword thrusts, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.


The study notes in my bible say "some people's normal speech pattern is constantly to accuse, belittle, manipulate, insult or condemn, and their rash words hurt other people and feel like sword thrusts. This is the opposite of the way of wisdom taught in Proverbs, for the tongue of the wise brings healing."


Over the years, there are more than a few spoken words (and a few emails) I wish I could take back. This sort of gets to yesterday's post about cynicism. My critical nature has often led me to regret words spoken that were probably more painful than I even knew. There's probably not a saying less true than "Sticks and stones...". Words do hurt - more than sticks.