In 2010, I plan to read the entire bible using the M'Cheyne One-Year Reading Plan . It's my hope that by reading God's word on a daily basis, I will know God better. As time allows, I hope to journal my notes, questions and observations for anyone who cares to follow.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Mar 24 - Respectable Sins

There's a book out called Respectable Sins. I haven't read it, but it's supposed to be pretty good. Some of the respectable sins it discusses are:

* Anxiety
* Pride
* Selfishness
* Lack of Self-Control
* Impatience and Irritability
* Anger
* Envy, Jealousy

Most people on the planet aren't killers or drug addics, so on the surface we describe ourselves as being pretty good, even if we're plagued by any of the above (whether we admit it or not). My readings this year have revealed to me how God views these sins, and revealed some of them that are evident in my life. They not only should be removed, but they should be replaced - replaced by virtues.

Confession on the internet airways: God is revealing how ugly my cynicism is. My tendency is usually to think negatively or critically about people. Lately, I've been more aware of it. It's an ugly thing.

Cynical defined: disparaging of the motive of others, critical, sarcastic, pessimistic.

I think I do a pretty good job of masking it in humor. But it's there, and it needs to change. There - off my chest. :)