In 2010, I plan to read the entire bible using the M'Cheyne One-Year Reading Plan . It's my hope that by reading God's word on a daily basis, I will know God better. As time allows, I hope to journal my notes, questions and observations for anyone who cares to follow.

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Jan 14 - Peter's Walk

Chapter 14 of Matthew is pretty amazing. After hearing report that John the Baptist was beheaded, Jesus withdrew in a boat to a desolate place. The masses followed him. He had compassion on them, healing their sick, then feeding them (5000+) with only 5 loaves and 2 fish. The report of 5,000 only counts the men. It is estimated that there may have been 10,000 people fed that day.

Stories like this, when you stop and think about them, often seem storybook-ish. Is it a stretch to believe they really happened? I don't think so - not at all. In this particular case, the story of Jesus feeding the masses with 5 loaves and 2 fish is found in all four gospel accounts. One detail that leads me to believe this is true: Experts suggests that the earliest gospel manuscripts date back to 30 years after Jesus' death and resurrection. So far in my reading of Matthew and Acts, I've learned that there were many interested in shutting up Christ and stopping the spread of the Christian faith. Since it was only 30 years after the fact, obviously many of the 10,000 in attendance would still be alive. If the story was fiction, the masses would have spoken up to report it false.

After feeding the masses, Jesus sought desolation again. After eating, Jesus immediately made his disciples get in a boat to go on before him while he dismissed the crowd. Then, he went up on the mountain to pray. It's likely that he was praying for 9 hours or so, through the night, in the dark, and likely through strong winds around him, as we're told the disciples were fighting rough waves in the sea.

In the fourth watch of the night (between 3am and 6am), He went out (walked on water) to the boat where the disciples were. As you might imagine, seeing someone walking out to you during the middle of a seastorm would be frightening. They wondered if it was a ghost. Jesus spoke, saying, "Take heart. It is I. Do not be afraid."

Peter does something I found interesting. Just a few chapters earlier, Jesus was with them in the boat when they encountered rough seas. They saw Him direct nature - telling the seas to be calm. So with that in mind, what might I say? Jesus, will you calm the sea? Or, Jesus, will you get in the boat with us? Rather, Peter says "If it is you, command me to come to you on the water". What? In the middle of a raging sea?

Imagine being Peter. Jesus said "come". OK. Here we go. First step. Cool. I'm walking on water. I'm walking out to Jesus. But wait, have I lost my mind? I could drown. As fear sets in, I start to sink. I cry out: Lord, save me!" He immediately reached out his hand and took hold of me saying, "O you of little faith, why did you doubt?" When Jesus and I got into the boat, the wind ceased. And all of us in the boat worshiped him, saying "Truly you are the Son of God."

I wish I knew what was really going through Jesus' mind when he called Peter "O you of little faith". Peter had the faith to step out of the boat. Christ wanted more though - total faith. That's a process.

Here's another amazing current day example of Peter's faith. Check out this blog posting from friends of ours in NY. I especially like this comment the 21 year old girl makes: There is a common misconception that I am courageous. I will be the first to tell you that this is not actually true. Most of the time, I am not brave. I just believe in a God who will use me even though I am not. Most mornings, before I even get out of bed I am overwhelmed with His goodness, with His plan for my life; I stand in awe of the fact that He could entrust me with so much. Most days, I don’t have much of a plan. I don’t always know where this is going. I can’t see the end of the road, but here is the great part: Courage is not about knowing the path. It is about taking the first step. It is about Peter, getting out of the boat. I do not know my five year plan; even tomorrow will probably not go as I have planned. I am thrilled and I am terrified, in a good way. So some call it courage, some call it foolish, I call it Faith. I choose to get out of the boat. To take the next step. Sometimes I walk straight into His arms. More often, I get scared and look down and stumble. Sometimes I almost completely drown. And through it all, He never lets go of my hand.