Matthew 19: "And behold, a man came up to him, saying, “Teacher, what good deed must I do to have eternal life?” 17 And he said to him, “Why do you ask me about what is good? There is only one who is good. If you would enter life, keep the commandments.” 18 He said to him, “Which ones?” And Jesus said, “You shall not murder, You shall not commit adultery, You shall not steal, You shall not bear false witness, 19 Honor your father and mother, and, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” 20 The young man said to him, “All these I have kept. What do I still lack?” 21 Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.” 22 When the young man heard this he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions."
In previous readings of this chapter, I don't know that I've spent much time thinking about how this man "went away sorrowful". I imagine being a young man that has clearly tried very hard to obey the laws of God. I don't cheat. I don't steal. I am kind to those around me. I tithe as commanded in the Mosaic laws. My aim, as evident in my question, is to check the boxes to earn eternal life. But I come to Christ with major doubts as to whether I've done enough. Jesus sees right through me - knowing that my whole life, and certainly my security, is wrapped up in my possessions.
So I'm asked to give it all away - not because my possessions are inherently bad, not even because of the good that could be done for the poor by giving it away, but because of the control the money had on me. Jesus knew that I could not be a true disciple unless I freed myself from the bondage of wealth and possessions. It's interesting to hear Christ's words from yesterday's reading ("if your hand or your foot causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life crippled or lame than with two hands or two feet to be thrown into the eternal fire.") in the light of this conversation.
This rich young man's identity and security was so bonded by his weatlh that he had to walk away from Jesus. I note that he didn't walk rolling his eyes saying "Jesus is too radical for asking that." Instead, he walked away sorrowful. I'm pretty sure the man knew Jesus was right. He just couldn't let go.