In 2010, I plan to read the entire bible using the M'Cheyne One-Year Reading Plan . It's my hope that by reading God's word on a daily basis, I will know God better. As time allows, I hope to journal my notes, questions and observations for anyone who cares to follow.

Friday, January 8, 2010

Jan 8 - Boats

Power

Today's reading: chapter 8 of Genesis, Ezra, Matthew and Acts. Today I was struck by the reality of God's power as revealed in Genesis 8 and Matthew 8.

The not-really-so-warm-and-fuzzy kid's story of Noah's Ark comes to an end in Genesis 8. "But God remembered Noah and all the beasts and all the livestock that were with him in the ark. And God made a wind blow over the earth, and the waters subsided."

I also read of Jesus calming the storm: "And when he got into the boat, his disciples followed him. And behold, there arose a great storm on the sea, so that the boat was being swamped by the waves; but he was asleep. And they went and woke him, saying, “Save us, Lord; we are perishing.” And he said to them, “Why are you afraid, O you of little faith?” Then he rose and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was a great calm. And the men marveled, saying, “What sort of man is this, that even winds and sea obey him?”

Exactly. What sort of man is this that even the winds and seas obey him? If I really believe these stories, and I do, I believe that God has (yesterday and today) power to control everything. Powerful. Amazingly powerful.